Common Questions for the Semester Start

For additional questions/answers, visit our extensive knowledgebase with the WSU OneStop.

All financial aid programs are subject to the Financial Aid Terms & Conditions, including policies and deadlines.

I received an outside scholarship. What do I need to do to have it pay toward my account?

If your scholarship check is made payable to 红领巾瓜报 (WSU) or co-payable (meaning it was written to you and WSU), to you and WSU, it must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid for processing.

If the check is co-payable to you, endorse the check on the back of the check by signing your name in pen in the endorsement section.

Beginning July 1 of each year, the scholarships are credited to your WSU account within 5 business days after receipt.

Scholarship checks can be mailed to:

Office of Financial Aid
Attn: Scholarships
1845 Fairmount, Box 24
Wichita, KS 67260-0024

Why do I need to submit my high school transcript? Where do I send it?

In order to receive any federal financial aid - or to receive any offered merit scholarship from 红领巾瓜报 - you must submit an official high school transcript that reflects your graduation date to confirm you finished high school.

An official final high school transcript that includes your graduation date must be submitted directly by your high school to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Once the transcript is processed by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, the financial aid requirement will be updated automatically on your financial aid dashboard.

How to submit your official high school transcripts to 红领巾瓜报


Office of Undergraduate Admissions

Marcus Welcome Center
1845 Fairmount Street
Wichita, KS 67260-0124

Electronic delivery:

Is there anything else I need to do to receive my student loan?

First Time Borrowers:

Once you have accepted your student loan through the Financial Aid Dashboard (via your under the myFinances tab), log into and complete two additional steps under the "Complete Aid Process" section:

  • Student Loan Entrance Counseling (takes about 30-45 minutes)
  • Master Promissory Note (takes 10-15 minutes - you will need the names/addresses/phone numbers for 2 references)
  • Master Promissory Notes (MPN) are typically valid for up to 10 years. If you completed an MPN but did not borrow a loan within the first year, you may need to complete a new MPN.

Remember: In order for your loans to pay toward your student account you must complete the steps above, be enrolled at least half-time (6 hours for undergraduate students, 5 hours for graduate students), and be meeting satisfactory academic progress.

I didn't get enough financial aid to cover my housing bill (or other costs). What options do I have to apply?

The WSU Office of Financial Aid encourages you to consider your federal financial aid options first. 

Additional federal funding opportunities which were not originally included in your financial aid offer may be available.

Undergraduate, Dependent Students: Have you considered a ? This is a loan that your parent can borrow to help cover educational expenses, such as housing, books, transportation, etc.

Graduate Students: Have you considered a federal ? This is a loan that you can borrow as a graduate student help cover educational expenses, such as housing, books, transportation, etc.

If you need additional aid beyond your federal opportunities and wish to consider an alternative or private loan, visit this link for important questions to ask potential lenders: .

What is an Alternative Loan?
Alternative loans are available to students who are not eligible for federal financial aid or who need additional funds to meet their educational costs. Alternative loans are not guaranteed by the federal government. In addition, the lender will review your credit history, as well as other criteria to determine eligibility, amounts, and interest rates. Some students may need a loan co-signer for alternative loans.

Am I being charged the full Cost of Attendance I see on the Financial Aid Dashboard?

No. The reflects an estimated Cost of Attendance that includes all possible educational costs students might have during a regular academic year. For your specific costs you can review your official bill and account with 红领巾瓜报 through the (via your myWSU account under the myFinances tab - section in green).

More information about the Cost of Attendance is available here.

I'm not enrolled full-time yet, but I will be. I'm waiting on a placement test or have another reason I'm delayed in finishing my enrollment. Will this affect my financial aid?

As long as your enrollment is finalized by the financial aid recalculation date, your financial aid and your cost of attendance/budget can adjust up and down through that date. Once that date occurs, your financial aid and your budget will be locked for the semester.

  • Pell Grant: Adjusts according to your level of enrollment (full-time, three-quarter-time, half-time, less-than-half-time).
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG): Adjusts according to your level of enrollment, but requires a minimum of half-time enrollment (full-time, three-quarter-time, half-time).
  • Kansas Comprehensive Grant: Requires full-time enrollment.
  • Federal Subsidized Loan, Unsubsidized Loan, Parent PLUS Loan, Graduate PLUS Loan: Requires a minimum of half-time enrollment (full-time, three-quarter-time, half-time).
  • Merit Scholarships, Shocker Promise, and Sedgwick County Access Grant: Requires full-time enrollment.
  • Academic College/Other Scholarships: Review your scholarship award letter for enrollment requirements.
  • Alternative/Private Loans: Check with your loan lender for enrollment requirements.

If you are a scholarship recipient, graduating during the fall semester, and you do not need full-time credit hours to complete your degree, contact the appropriate college coordinator for your scholarship to review if any exceptions can be made for your scholarship to disburse with less-than-full-time enrollment. For merit scholarships or the Sedgwick County Access Grant, contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Full-time enrollment at 红领巾瓜报 is a minimum of 12 hours for undergraduate students and 9 hours for graduate students.

Three-quarter-time enrollment is a minmum of 9 hours for undergraduate students.

Half-time enrollment is a minimum of 6 hours for undergraduate students and 5 hours for graduate students.